[kde-linux] Shutting down just goes to login screen (was Re: KDE)

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jan 24 08:19:37 UTC 2007

John Andersen wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 January 2007 13:40, david wrote:
>> I've used six different mail clients in my career on the internet. Not a
>> single one BY DEFAULT ever displayed the headers used by threading.
>
> You totally miss the point.
> These headers are not displayed - they are USED to properly sequence the list.

I know that. But they're not shown, so people have no clue how they're
being sorted that way.

> It becomes obvious which message is a reply, they are all sequenced into
> the proper order, and usually presented in an indented structure.

I can already tell what message is a reply to something just by looking
at the subject.

> Thunderbird (and presumably icedove) has proper threading support
> and once you start using it you will never go back.
>
> The problem is that thunderbird garnered so many Outlook Express users
> that they had to dumb down the product to keep these idiots happy as
> officially explained here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Stop_threading_by_subject
> and as a result the broke their perfectly good package by turning off the
> threading engine leaving you no choice but to sort by subject.
>
> Follow the instructions on that page to turn on proper threading
> (they probably are the same for icedove) and use it threaded for a week
> and I bet you will never go back.

I've already tried it. I find the threaded view useless, since the
moment I do anything like sort by date, the threaded view is turned off.

Sorry, I'm not going to waste my time for a week on this.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community