[kde-linux] Kopete

Matt Seitz seitz at neopathnetworks.com
Wed Jan 10 17:54:58 UTC 2007

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 January 2007 00:51, Matt Seitz wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> For Fedora, then, I assume that means building from the source file.
>> No need to build from source.  Fedora has released an update to the current
>> version of Kopete (0.12.3).  Just update your system using "yum update" or
>> "pup".
>
> Hi, Matthew.  That's the version I'm using.  I simply can't get it to work
> with video.  Is there any detail/info that I could give that would assist in
> troubleshooting?

Sorry, I misunderstood.  When I saw the earlier message suggest the latest
version of Kopete, I thought it meant the latest stable/released version of
Kopete.  I didn't know they meant a later, development version.

I have built Kopete 0.12.2 from source on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Update 4.
I was able to install my custom build for my use, without disturbing the
existing files that are under the control of "yum".  Here's how I think you
could build the SVN development version, based on my experience:

1.  Create a directory under "/opt".  In my case, I used "/opt/seitz/kopete".

2.  Create a directory to hold the source.  For example, "/opt/seitz/kopete/src".

3.  Change to that directory (cd /opt/seitz/kopete/src)

4. Download the source.  In my case, I downloaded the 0.12.2 tarball.  In your
case, it appears you will need to download the development source using "svn":

svn co -N svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.5/kdenetwork
cd kdenetwork
svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.5/kde-common/admin
svn up kopete
make -f Makefile.cvs

5.  Create a separate build directory (ex:  /opt/seitz/kopete/build).  Change to
that directory (cd /opt/seitz/kopete/build)

6.  Run "../kdenetwork/configure", and add the "--prefix" argument to specify
your private kopete directory.  For example:

../kdenetwork/configure --prefix=/opt/seitz/kopete

7.  Run "make"

8.  Run "make install"

[Note: since the build process can take a long time, I usually combine the
previous three commands in one line.  That way if each step succeeds, the next
will take place automatically.  If one step fails, the process stops immediately:

../kdenetwork/configure --prefix=/opt/seitz/kopete && make && make install

]

9.  Add the KDEDIRS environment variable, specifying first your new kopete
directory, and then your default system KDE directory.  I did this by modifying
"/etc/profile.d/kde.sh":

[seitz at demo5 ~]$ cat /etc/profile.d/kde.sh
# Make sure KDEDIR is set
[ -z "$KDEDIR" ] && KDEDIR="/usr"
export KDEDIR

# Make sure KDEDIRS is set
[ -z "$KDEDIRS" ] && KDEDIRS="/opt/seitz/kopete:/usr"

I just saw this morning a page on the KDE web site giving an alternative method
of setting the directories KDE will use.  I haven't tried the suggestions there yet:

http://kopete.kde.org/installtips.php

10.  Run /opt/seitz/kopete/bin/kopete

Hopefully, you will now be running your custom build of kopete.

--
Sincerely,
Matthew Seitz