[kde-linux] How do I set the default sound card?

Ronny Standtke Ronny.Standtke at gmx.net
Thu Jan 4 22:44:44 UTC 2007

Hi Jes,

> http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
>
> This is an excellent resource that explains how to write rules in much
> detail. I hope it proves useful.

After studying the document and all references for some hours and actually
writing udev rules for all three sound devices and seeing the correct
symlinks created I run again into a wall:

For my on-board soundcard I wrote the following rule:
SUBSYSTEMS=="pci", DRIVERS=="Intel ICH", ATTRS{device}=="0x24c5",
SYMLINK+="soundcard"
That means that /dev/soundcard always points to my on-board soundcard. But
when I insert "/dev/soundcard" into the "Override device location" in the KDE
Control Center and klick the "Apply" button, I get the following error
message:

--------------
Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: /dev/soundcard can't be opened for playback (No such file or
directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
--------------

I even tried with the default device node "/dev/dsp" with the same result.
Then I studied the console output of "artsd -h" and activated the "Use other
custom options" checkbox and tried again with "-D /dev/soundcard"
and "-D /dev/dsp". The sound server failed again!

Interestingly it works when I change the audio device to "Open Sound System".
But I really do NOT want to use this terrible, deprecated, expired, out of
date sound system. What option may I use for ALSA?

Greetings and Thanks!

Ronny (who thinks that writing udev rules is too demanding for normal users
and that there should be a better solution)