[kde-linux] Auto-mounting removable drives - dbus / hal problems?

Bogus Zaba bogus at bogzab.plus.com
Thu Feb 8 22:21:56 UTC 2007

I have got used to the nice auto-mounting of removable media provided by
my Suse 10.1 / KDE 3.5.1 combination. For some reason this has now
stopped working. There are two symptoms. When I first open a KDE session
I get the message that dbus is not running and am invited to start it by
typing /etc/init.d/dbus start. I do as I'm told and type this into a
console.

But when I put in a usb drive or a DVD I get no automatic message
telling me that a device has been detected and asking me whether I want
to open a konqi filemanager window / play a DVD or whatever. When I look
at devices shown by the media:/ protocol , clicking on any of them
yields the message : "Feature only available with HAL". If I look to see
the haldaemon status, it is usually "unused", but if I start it, that
also makes no difference.

I can manually mount these devices at any place in the tree I want (eg
/media/someplace) but then run into permission frustrations as I only
seem to be able to do the mounting as root and only root can then write
to the drive.

Any ideas on how I can get the simple user's auto-mounting working again?

Thanks

Bogus