[kde-linux] two faced CD

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Wed Feb 7 08:19:31 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 20:09, Andrew Walbran wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 February 2007 7:38 am, Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The same CD looks very different if viewed from M$ (XP)  or Linux
> > (suse 9.1, kde 3.4.0)
> > Some files are only visible visible in explorer or listed with "dir",
> > while others are only visible in konk or listed with "ls"
> >
> > Can anybody explain (output of dir and ls below)?
> > Note that I don't need the files, I'm just curious to know.
>
> My guess would be that the CD contains both an ISO9660 partition (for
> Windows) and an HFS partition (for MacOS) which you are seeing under Linux.
> What is the output of 'mount', when the CD is mounted?
Thanks for answer, the relevant line is:
/dev/hdc on /media/GeTax2006 type subfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=hfs)
That confirms your guess.
Also the CD is "rw", could that play a role?

I still feel uneasy knowing Linux does not tell me the whole truth about a CD
(neither does M$)
Any pointers about that?
Why does detection of HFS partition prevent detection of other?

Thanks		Perry

--
BOFH excuse #198: Post-it Note Sludge leaked into the monitor