[kde-linux] Previewing sound files.

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 28 20:54:31 UTC 2007

On Friday 28 December 2007 19:45:50 Bogus Zaba wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:

> Snip...
>
> >> By default it's quite low so that e.g. reading huge images to create
> >> previews does not slow down the file managment task, but sound files are
> >> usually bigger than this limit.
> >
> > Hi, Kevin.  I don't think that is the reason.  This workstation and the
> > laptop both have the same 2MB setting for preview file size, yet the
> > laptop can preview a sound file of 42MB!
> >
> > Anne
>
> Anne -
>
> I think it depends what you want from a ¨Preview¨ function. For me,
> graphics files (provided they conform to the
> size limits as specified above) appear in a preview tool-tip style
> window when you hover over the filename in Konqueror. Sounds files never
> do that, but if you right-click you can select ¨Preview¨ from the
> context menu and it will  take over the Konq window, give you the usual
> controls and you can play / pause etc. I guess this is not very
> different from just playing it, so you probably want the ¨tooltip¨ type
> fucntionality working. Never seen this happen for a sound file.

No, sorry, that's not what I mean at all.  I know it exists - because I use it
on this laptop.  If I hover over a soundfile I hear the beginning of it.
I've never stuck around to hear how much it will play, though :-)

The setting is somewhere in konqueror, but I've only ever found it by
accident.  Someone in the kde team must know where it is :-)