[kde-linux] deleted .kde

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Dec 27 19:29:51 UTC 2007

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday 27 December 2007, david wrote:
>> You'll also need to change ownership of your copied .kde folder - it
>> needs to belong to the correct user ID. On my Debian systems (using
>> private groups), that would be "chown -R your_user_ID:your_user_ID
>> ~.kde" for the .kde folder and everything in it.
>
> This is whyI always recommend using tar, because it creates the files with the
> current user's identity on extraction.

The problem with tar (for me) is it creates a single big file. In my
case, about 36GB big for my home directory. Too big for the older SMB
support to move around on the network (haven't tried Etch's CIFS support
yet). Hard to keep offline backups on optical media.

Of course, for the original poster's need to maintain a backup of his
.kde folder, the backup file wouldn't be that large.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community