[kde-linux] deleted .kde

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Dec 27 10:26:40 UTC 2007

You'll also need to change ownership of your copied .kde folder - it
needs to belong to the correct user ID. On my Debian systems (using
private groups), that would be "chown -R your_user_ID:your_user_ID
~.kde" for the .kde folder and everything in it.

Discovered that the hard way, after copying my home folder to a network
share for backup, and having to copy it back after replacing an old
Debian installation with a new Etch. ;-)

Aashish Chaudhary wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> unfortunately our server does not back up our home dir.
>
> Now when I login with kde session all I get is blank screen ( in this
> case a blue screen ) and nothing happens.
>
> I also tried copying .kde folder from my other account and that did the
> same ( I changes the username to my username in some of the files.. ) ..
>
> ~Regards,
> Aashish
>

> On Dec 26, 2007 7:29 AM, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at
> <mailto:kevin.krammer at gmx.at>> wrote:
>
>     On Tuesday 25 December 2007, Aashish Chaudhary wrote:
>      > Hi,
>      >
>      > Accidentally I deleted .kde folder and now I am unable to use KDE
>     desktop.
>      > I tried various methods to restore but no luck. Since the account
>     is on
>      > server I cannot delete and recreate my account.
>
>     While it means that you lost all your data (unless the server has
>     backups), it
>     shouldn't be a problem for startup.
>     The .kde directory (or whereever $KDEHOME points to) is
>     automatically created
>     if it doesn't exists.
>
>     Do you get any error messages?
>
>     Cheers,
>     Kevin
>
>     --
>     Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer
>     KDE user support, developer mentoring

And general all-around good guy.

--
David