[kde-linux] Previewing sound files.

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Dec 21 22:13:55 UTC 2007

On Friday 21 December 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 21 December 2007 12:27:52 Sergey Kulikov wrote:
> > Can you play these files in Noatun? Does your kdemultimedia support .wav
> > and .mp3 playback?
>
> I have no problem playing them back.  The problem is that I'm doing quite a
> lot of sound editing just now, and the ability to preview a few seconds of
> a sound file saves me a lot of time, seeking the one I want.  I have it
> working on this laptop - I didn't have it at first, and I rediscovered the
> setting by accident.  Sadly, I didn't note it down anywhere, and I can't
> find it again.
>
> This is something I've used and lost several times over the last 5 years.
> I'm positive it's in kcontrol somewhere, but I can't find it.

It is probably a matter of the file size set as the maximum for files for
which to create previews.

By default it's quite low so that e.g. reading huge images to create previews
does not slow down the file managment task, but sound files are usually
bigger than this limit.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring