[kde-linux] Window Borders Have Dissapeared

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Dec 19 20:29:16 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Steve O'Neill wrote:

> Apparently, the problem happens when the version of kwin, the window
> manager, gets out of sync with the library /usr/lib/libkdeinit_kwin.so.  At
> least in my case, restoring the version of the library that came with the
> original installation disk restored kwin's ability to run.  This brought
> back the window borders, resizing, positioning, etc. The question then
> becomes why the library gets changed.  I believe it comes about when some
> package to be installed is dependent on a later library version and simply
> goes ahead and updates the lib that's currently on your drive.
> Unfortunately, this package doesn't also automatically trigger updating
> every program that's currently on your system and which is dependent on the
> version of the lib file. This may be a structural problem with the package
> updating system, or it may simply be carelessness on the part of the
> package maintainers.  At this point, I don't know. The only way to fix the
> problem when it occurs that I'm aware of right now is just to put back the
> original version of the library.  If the version of kwin is updated,
> installing it might fix the problem, also.

Sounds like a serious packaging problem. Please report it to your distributor.

Just as an additional info: the libkdeinit_ libraries are basically the
program, in this case kwin. KWin the executable is just a small "laucher".
This allows kdeinit to start applications faster at the initial startup.
So the executable is _the_ use case for the library and should never get out
of sync.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring