[kde-linux] Window Borders Have Dissapeared

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Dec 19 08:49:22 UTC 2007

Steve O'Neill wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, david wrote:
>
>> Steve O'Neill wrote:

>>> Here's what I get when I do this:
>>>
>>> kwin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkdeinit_kwin.so: undefined symbol:
>>> _ZNK11NETRootInfo24desktopLayoutOrientationEv
>>>
>>> Obviously, kwin _isn't_ running(confirmed by look with 'ps').  I suspect one
>>> of the packages I installed has caused this, but I don't know which one.  I've
>>> already found one official PCLinuxOS package that doesn't work because of an
>>> undefined symbol in the program; there may be others.  It looks like I'm going
>>> to have to re-install the system and build it back up piece by piece until I
>>> find the package that's causing the problem.  Fortunately, I'm not dependent
>>> of this distro for any "real" uses yet, so all this will cost me is a bit of
>>> time.  Thanks to everyone for all your help.
>> My wife's been using that distro on her production laptop ever since it
>> came out - with no problems whatever. What packages did you find that
>> had that undefined symbol problem? Might just be a package maintainers
>> glitch that could be easily fixed.
>
> Well, the first time I had an undefined symbol problem was when I installed
> "evince-0.8.0-1".  The installation went ok, but, as soon as I ran the
> program, I got an "undefined symbol" message and it wouldn't run.  It's quite
> possible that the problem isn't in 'evince' itself, but in one of the
> libraries that's been upgraded by installing other packages.  The problem is,
> I installed a lot of packages from the repo before before I hit this window
> problem, so if this kind of error is all coming from one or a few libraries, I
> have no idea how to pin down the source of it at this stage of the game.  I
> suspcet that your wife hasn't had any problems because of the her selection of
> packages. If this is so, then it might only be a matter of time before she
> hits the problem as she adds or updates packages.

I think we've ADDed maybe two packages since installing it on her
laptop. And updates from the PCLinuxOS repository have been happening
without any problems, so my guess is whatever caused the problem, it
isn't any of the packages currently on her system.

> I'd like to be able to pin
> the problem down myself; since I have lots of room on my drive, I might just
> do a new, 'clean' install of PCLinuxOS in another partition and experiment
> with adding packages to see what kind of problems I run into.  If I get
> anything solid, I post it here.

That would be a good idea. Suggestion: Install VirtualBox and run your
tests in a virtualbox. Then you can do a stock PCLinuxOS install and
back up that image file - so it's easy to get back to stock for other
tests. I'd start testing with evince, myself!

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community