[kde-linux] Need Help - I hosed my Kontact installation!

phillipsm at cox.net phillipsm at cox.net
Thu Aug 23 20:42:14 UTC 2007

I use kontact, and I was trying to set up a remote calendar. I was able to get the remote calendar to work using sftp and then I started looking at webdav. Well, in the process of trying different ways to access the calendar on a remote server, kontact froze and then my pc froze. Upon rebooting, kontact doesn't start and kded starts to use 98% of my CPU cycles. I am running debian Etch and I beleive this is the version of kontact - /var/cache/apt/archives/kontact_4%3a3.5.5.dfsg.1-1_i386.deb. I can't start it to find out!

Please, if anyone can help, I really need it! All my email, contacts, and calendar entries are in kontact, and I need to get it working again!

When I run kontact from the command line, this is the ouput:
mark at narwhale:~$ kontact
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
Link points to "/tmp/ksocket-mark"
Link points to "/tmp/kde-mark"
kbuildsycoca running...
Launched ok, pid = 5298
kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
[...]
mark at narwhale:~$ WeaverThreadLogger: thread (ID: 1) suspended.
WeaverThreadLogger: thread (ID: 2) suspended.
WeaverThreadLogger: thread (ID: 3) suspended.
WeaverThreadLogger: thread (ID: 4) suspended.
kio_sftp: ERROR: KSshProcess::version(): pclose failed.
korgac: WARNING: ResourceRemote::load(): download still in progress.

and then kded consumes 100% of the CPU. The last line keeps pooping up every so often.

Thanks!

Mark