[kde-linux] kde compile newbie

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 17 16:21:03 UTC 2007

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Stable_Version

>   if i compile my new KDE the previouse version will be lost?

Only if you install to the same location as your current KDE. Probably
you do not want to do that, in which case you will be able to safely
revert to your previous version if you encounter any problems.

Note that there is a small chance of losing application settings if
there are incompatible changes in their settings; test your install
first as a different user if you are concerned. Better still, make
yourself a "kde" user that you use to build KDE.

--
Matthew
"Still not King." -- Aragorn