[kde-linux] please explain- init:id "I".....

Bob McGowan bob_mcgowan at symantec.com
Mon Aug 13 20:53:44 UTC 2007

Ali wrote:
> Hello list
>
> When in konsole for instance viruschecker
> is scanning the HD, I often get the remark:
>
> INIT:id "I" respawning too fast:disabled for 5 minutes.
>
> The sanning is stopped and after a certain time it re-activates.
> With Ctrl c I can close the shell window,the computer itself is
> still ready for whatever I want  to do.
> I get this notification quite often when working in the shell
> and have no idea what is means or  what I can/must do to
> make things right.
> I have/use Mandriva 2006 on an AMD_Athlon.
> Thanks
> Martin

This is a basic issue with the "init" program, the parent of all
processes.  What it means is that the program named is not running
correctly and it keeps exiting.

Since you state that the scanning process in fact stops with the message
appears, and starts again (presumably within the 5 minutes init gave),
then perhaps there's some sort of wrapper that spawns and exits, or the
program itself is forking and the parent exiting.

In any case, further analysis would require a copy of your /etc/inittab
file.

You can take a look, yourself, the format of the file is documented in
'man inittab'.  The first field is the id, so look for the line that
begins with "I".  The content of this line defines what init is to do.
I suspect the 'action' field (3) says "respawn", it should probably say
something like "once" or "boot".  You do need to read the man page to
get it set right, though, particularly for field 2, the 'rstate' (run
state) field.

--
Bob McGowan