[kde-linux] Login oddity

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 11 11:02:25 UTC 2007

On Saturday 11 Aug 2007, Sergey Kulikov wrote:
>> For the last three mornings I've reached the login screen,
>> only to find that I can't type into the username box.  I have to re-start
>> the X server, after which I log in normally.
>>
>> Has anyone any idea what might be the cause?
>
> A couple of months ago I had the same problem with kdm. After ending
> current session I was unable to type anything in kdm's
> username/password textboxes. After upgrading to KDE 3.5.7 the problem
> disappeared. What version of kdebase do you use, Anne?

3.5.6.  The install date is 14 Jul 2007, so I guess that an update of
something is affecting it.  From what you say, perhaps it's a mis-alignment
of versions and the next update will probably fix it.  Thanks.

From about the same time, so probably related, is the fact that using the tray
icon to access samba shares no longer works without help.  It brings up smb:/
then says that it can't find any workgroups.  Adding the second '/' fixes it.