[kde-linux] Programming a key to disable touchpad

Sascha Hlusiak saschahlusiak at arcor.de
Mon Aug 6 08:35:39 UTC 2007

> > > I need to work with an ancient laptop, and I'm having great
> > > difficulties because when I am typing I frequently find that the input
> > > is appearing in the middle of text somewhere else on the page.  The
> > > heel of my hand must be brushing the touchpad.  Unlike my newer one,
> > > this laptop doesn't have any Fn key programmed to disable it.  I'm sure
> > > it must be possible to do that, but how can do it, and what command
> > > would the key need to be given? I would have though that kcontrol's
> > > Keyboard Shortcuts might be the way to do it, but it's not obvious
> > > whether it could or not.
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > How about this command :
> > synclient TouchpadOff=0
>
> Same problem as KSynaptics, I think
>
> "Can't access shared memory.  SHMConfig disabled?"  It seems that I have to
> create a stanza in xorg.conf, but I haven't yet figured out what needs to
> be in there.
In case you didn't get my last email to you, here my xorg.conf parts for the
touchpad:
Substitute /dev/input/touchpad with the /dev/input/event*
device for your touchpad. I have an udev rule for the symlink for me:

Section "InputDevice"
        Driver "synaptics"
        Identifier "touchpad"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/touchpad"
        Option "Protocol" "event"
        Option "LeftEdge" "130"
        Option "RightEdge" "840"
        Option "TopEdge" "130"
        Option "BottomEdge" "640"
        Option "FingerLow" "7"
        Option "FingerHigh" "8"
        Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
        Option "MaxTapMove" "110"
        Option "EmulateMidButtonTime" "75"
        Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "on"
        Option "VertScrollDelta" "20"
        Option "HorizScrollDelta" "20"
        Option "MinSpeed" "0.60"
        Option "MaxSpeed" "1.10"
        Option "AccelFactor" "0.030"
        Option "EdgeMotionMinSpeed" "200"
        Option "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed" "200"
        Option "UpDownScrolling" "1"
        Option "CircularScrolling" "0"
        Option "CircScrollDelta" "0.1"
        Option "CircScrollTrigger" "2"
        Option "SHMConfig" "on"
        Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
EndSection

[...]

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Main Layout"
        Screen          "Screen 1"

        InputDevice     "Mouse1"        "CorePointer"
        InputDevice     "touchpad"      "AlwaysCore"
        InputDevice     "Keyboard1"     "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

- Sascha