[kde-linux] Connecting to a samba share at startup

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 2 08:55:32 UTC 2007

On Thursday 02 Aug 2007, Boyan Tabakov wrote:
> On Thursday 02 August 2007 10:31:46 Anne Wilson wrote:
<snip>

> Given the output of "ls" and "mount", it seems that the permissions with
> which the share is mounted are wrong. Did you add the uid and gid options
> to the fstab entry? Did you set them to the local machine's username and
> default group that you are using (suppose it is something like 'anne' and
> 'anne' or 'anne' and 'users')? What owner and permissions have the files
> inside the /mnt/Samba-Home directory? Are you able to create new files
> in /mnt/Samba-Home (using either konsole or the Desktop link that you
> have)?

I'll be taking the line out of fstab - don't need it any more :-)

> There are two ways you can try dealing with the situation: either fix the
> permissions and tell kontact to use a local resource from the
> /mnt/Samba-Home directory as I explained in my previous post, or we can see
> what's happening with the smb:// remote resources and why they are not
> properly accessed. I suppose there is some authentication problem for the
> latter. Maybe setting default browsing username and password in Control
> Center -> Internet & Network -> Local Network Browsing will fix the issue?

You hit the nail on the head.  Either I lost the default user setting or never
set it up.  Sheer stupidity for not thinking of that.  I just restarted, and
everything works perfectly, totally without fuss.

I'm sorry to have wasted your time.  Thanks for all the help.