[kde-linux] apps and windows opening minimized

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sun Apr 22 01:01:58 UTC 2007

On Saturday 21 April 2007 18:42, Scott Bicknell wrote:
> On Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:43 pm, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > For some reason I don't understand, nearly everything I open, either
> > from the K menu, or a panel button, or from the tray, or a link from
> > a message in KMail is opening minimized, with only a highlighted
> > button on the task bar. This started happening spontaneously and I
> > have no idea what I may have done, and how I would undo this
> > behaviour. Any ideas?
>
> You may want to have a look at the settings for window behavior. Open
> the Control Center and select the Desktop group from the list on the
> left. Then select Window-specific-settings. Look for an entry that
> might describe a large class of windows. If you find one, click the
> Modify... button and select the Geometry tab from the dialog that pops
> up. Have a look at the Minimized check box and see if it is checked. If
> it is, look to see what behavior is associated with it. Does is always
> minimize this class of window? If so, try unchecking it and saving the
> setting to see how windows on your desktop behave.
>
> If this does not help... at least you ruled out one possibility.

Thanks very much - I checked and there are no special settings. It seems to
affect half of what I try to open, but I have to make some notes to see a
pattern. This reply window, for example, opened just fine. But restoring the
Kopete from the tray doesn't, nor does the counter link in Konqueror from the
bottom of your message.

Very peculiar... I might have to reboot to see if it goes away...