[kde-linux] Sound over ssh?

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 10:24:23 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 09:18:46PM +0300, Blade al'Slayer wrote:
> On 27.9.2006 21:09, Jeff Eklund wrote:
> > This could be done.
> > There are of course, easier ways than to tunnel the stream using SSH, but I
> > wanted to see if it could be done. Never stop to be curious, eh? ;-)
> > If no one else can think of any way to tunnel the sound, then I'll probably
> > settle for a apache server.

Hi again,
So here's what I found. The keywords here are 'streaming' and 'tunneling'. To
tunnel something over ssh, this means that there is some other client-server
connection that is just tunneled through ssh. Now for streaming, you need to
set up 'some kind' of server (not neccesserily a monster like apache). Found a
little how-to here:
http://www.aaronsw.com/2002/howto/stream
Also you can set up some specialized server like icecast (http://www.icecast.org).
To make it available only to you and only through ssh, set up the server to
listen only on the lo interface (local loopback interface). Then when
connecting with ssh, use port forwarding to forward clients port to the servers
port like this:

#Server (home computer)
#stream server listening on: localhost:1234

ssh [user@]<your home box> -L 5678:localhost:1234

When you log in, you'll have port 5678 on the client forwarded over ssh to your
home computer's port 1234. You can then point the player to localhost:5678
(note that localhost here would be the client machine) and it will actually
connect to your stream server.

Now about mutt, feel free to write me, but maybe not on the list, it would be
off-topic.

Nope, I am not American:) I am from Bulgaria. Here, there are also not many people that use PGP. I hope this will change, but unfortunately, it won't be enough if people just start using it. Without some knowledge of security, it will be worthless, because the secret keys might be easily compromised. This is big issue and I won't comment an further.

--
Blade hails you...

From cradle to coffin
Shall my wickedness be your passion