[kde-linux] Grub fails to load after non-proper shutdown

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 15:34:12 UTC 2006

Hi,
I know this might not be the right place to ask, but here's what concerns me:
I am using SuSE 10.1 and my / partition is formated with reiserfs. If for some
reason my system is unable to shut down properly (e.g. something hangs badly
and I have to reset, or even if I reset when nothing has gone bad, with
little things running and no heavy disc usage), Grub fails to load when the
PC boots. It hangs at "Grub loading, please wait..."
If I boot a live CD, it replays the reiserfs' journals and then Grub starts
just fine.
Any ideas how I can fix this? Maybe have Grub located on a nother partition?
Why is it so bad if some transactions are not complete? This renders my
system unbootable (?!?), and doesn't seem right on a Linux box, proud that is
stable and kicking.
Is there a way to replay my file system's journals quicker than launching a
Live CD? The only thing that comes to my mind now is set up a small system on
separate partition, and boot it only to replay my main system's journals. But
this sounds like quite a nasty work-around to me.

Thanks

--
Blade hails you...

Crownless again shall be the queen
Trophy on her grave still remains unseen
A boat on the river confessing the sins
The Riddler revealing the deep hidden things
                                 --Nightwish