[kde-linux] kmail - receiving mail with sbcglobal yahoo

Robert frosterrj at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 19 20:06:46 UTC 2006

Dan wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
>     I did specify user at sbcglobal.net.  At least I know somebody has got it work.
> I called tech support, but if your not using Outlook they will not help you.  Looks
> like I'll have to try this on a windows system.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>
> On Tuesday 19 September 2006 12:04, Robert wrote:
>
>> Dan wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>>      I setup a new installation for a friend today using DSL sbcglobal.yahoo.com
>>> I have no trouble sending email through the SMTP server at sbcglobal.yahoo.com
>>> however I can not receive email.  It keeps saying the username/password is
>>> invalid which seems strange because I send email.  Is there anybody that has
>>> configured DSL pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com and got it to work?  BTW: There are
>>> two email accounts which give different errors, the main account says "Server
>>> is busy try again later", the other account says username/password is invalid.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dan
>>>

>> user name is the full email address for both the pop and smtp servers:
>> user at sbcglobal.net.  I've used kmail, evolution and (currently)
>> Thunderbird with no problem...
>>
>> Robert

how do you have the servers configured?  Here's mine (Thunderbird):
pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com  port 110 use secure connection: 'no' checked
smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com port 25 use secure connection: 'no' checked

I just set up kmail with the above settings (no choice on ports though),
and after a little while at the "checking security capabilities of
sbcglobal.net" window, I was able to just start downloading my mail.

I tried to send a test message to myself, and had to modify the account
settings and add my user name and password, then all went well.