[kde-linux] Can't login via kde - hangs when "initializing peripherals"

Andrew Walbran qwandor at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 01:25:32 UTC 2006

On Sunday 10 September 2006 9:51 am, David Scriven wrote:
> I'm having problem on a machine which has been working well
> until a week or so ago. Running Fedora Core 5 updated from 4 some
> months ago. Machine is kept up to date and currently has version
> 3.5.4 of kde, kernel 2.6.17-1.2174, nvidia card using the livna
> version of the drivers, version 8774.
>
> When logging in under kde - it spends a long time at "Initializing
> peripherals" then there is some message, which appears too briefly
> to be seen, the screen blanks and then returns to the login screen.
>
> If I init 3, login via console & startx - kde works fine & goes through
> the "initializing peripherals" section very rapidly.
>
> I can login in under gnome - no problem.
>
> If I try and login as root in kde, I find that any subsequent attempt
> to login in (without a reboot) has problems because / has become
> read-only, which I fix with a mount -o remount
>
> I've tried deleting everything in /tmp & renaming ~/.kde - doesn't
> help. Nothing has been changed in the physical setup of this machine
> in years.
>
> I'd be grateful for any help/advice as I have no idea what to do
> next or where to look for the error as nothing seems to be logged.
You could try looking in ~/.xsession-errors*.

Try deleting or renaming ~/.fonts.cache-1, ~/.ICEauthority, and perhaps any
relevant files under /var/tmp/. Also, check for any files under your home
directory which are not owned by you.

Can other users on the same machine log in? What about if you create a
completely new user?

Another idea to try is to login to the 'failsafe' session, type 'startkde',
and watch for any helpful messages.

--
Andrew Walbran
website: http://q.geek.nz/