[kde-linux] Background wallpaper not being set

David J Iannucci xqryvahkzy at punchcutter.ml1.net
Thu Sep 7 00:27:37 UTC 2006

> >> OK, I'm starting to get irritated because it's been like this for
> >> some days... the wallpaper image I set in kcontrol as my background
> >> image is not being set - it's just solid blue. I've tried resetting
> >> it, and all the obvious stuff, but no effect. Do I have to wipe out
> >> some file somewhere to get this thing's attention??
> >
> > I presume that you mean that you opened the KDesktop KCM and in the
> > "Background" section chose: "Picture" in the "radio".  And then
> > clicked on the list and selected a picture.  And, nothing happened.
> > I really hate it when that happens. :-)

I thought I would let you all know that I basically got this worked out.

Unfortunately I've lost track of some of the details, but what it boils
down to is that my kdesktoprc file contained a section called something
like [Common Background] that didn't appear in, e.g., my other machine's
kdesktoprc.  I thought that this section may have been spuriously
introduced somewhere and be causing the trouble, so I commented it out.

That did the trick: I was able to set my background again.  Since then,
the section has magically disappeared: I guess KDE took the liberty of
deleting it since it was not being used.

Dave