[kde-linux] Trying to build a Help Search Index in KDE

Bogus Zaba bogzab at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 22:28:26 UTC 2006

Drachen wrote:
> Donatas G. wrote:

> To Donatas G.,
>
>      Thank you!  You have saved me from wasting an immense amount of
> time.  I might otherwise have tried to load distro after distro, looking
> for the one where the Help Center worked.
>      Well.  I guess we can hope that someone who knows a lot more than
> me will take the project up again, but for now I guess I'll have to
> learn to use man pages exclusively.  Too bad that so many man pages are
> poorly written and un-helpful.
>      Anyway, thanks again!
>                                                          -Drak

When I had a brand new Suse 9.2 Linux delivered with whatever KDE came
with it, the HelpCentre (including search functionality) worked fine.
After a year or so I upgraded the KDE to a higher version and the search
stopped working. However I tried to re-build indexes, whatever advice I
got off the lists, nothing helped. I have now installed a brand new Suse
10.1 with KDE3.5.1 and it works fine again. Conclusion - it is not
irretrievably broken, but something (directories and symlinks?) has to
be exactly right. I'm afraid I am no nearer knowing what that something
is...

Bogus