[kde-linux] no local printer with Konqueror 3.5.5

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Oct 29 19:21:18 UTC 2006

On Sunday 29 October 2006 20:37, Florian Kulzer wrote: (post to Debian Users):
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 13:35:48 -0300, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > System Debian Sid i386
> > KDE 3.5.5
> > local HP920c with CUPS on parallel port.
> >
> > I find my HP920c from Openoffice.org writer, from Kontact, from Kate or
> > any Program but Konqueror. The printer appears with Control Center /
> > Printers. Konqueror just gives me the choice to print to PDF, Postscript,
> > send PDF by e-mail or send as FAX - no local printer.
> > Huh?
> > I didn't have this problem with KDE 3.5.4 as far as I remember. Im pretty
> > sure that CUPS is allright.
> >
> > Debian-Problem or KDE-problem?
> > Can some kind soul please give me a hint where to look?

I beliee this is a KDE 3.5.5 problem as kprinter, kcmshell printers cannot
connect to CUPS! I can print using other protocals such as lpr, using
kprinter, but these do not allow full setup of the printers and CUPS is
supposed to be working!

> The first thing to do is to check ~/.xsession-errors for
> konqueror-related messages and/or to start konqueror from a konsole
> terminal and watch out for illuminating error messages.
>
> Furthermore, if you upgraded your box recently (hpijs 2.6.10+1.6.10-2)
> then you might have to reinstall your PPD files, see
> /usr/share/doc/hpijs/NEWS.Debian.gz.

Trying to do just this is how I found out that I could no longer get into
CUPS.