[kde-linux] Accident loses sound

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Oct 24 16:44:21 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 13:11, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> There can be severl differences. For example if a program which is supposed
> to be shutdown by the log-out hangs, it will not be correctly restarted at
> log-in, while it will obviously be gone when rebooting.
>
> Or when a driver gets into a state where something limits its
> functionality. It might still work partially but only a reboot and thus
> re-initializing the driver might restore its full potential.
>
> Sometimes the machine needs a full power-off, for example when hardware
> gets into a state where it can't be properly resetted by the driver
> anymore.

That makes sense.

> Potentially there are five levels of restart:
> - stopping application and restarting it
> - stopping session (logout) and restarting it (login)
> - switching to a lower runlevel (partial system shutdown) and switching
> back - stopping system and restarting it (reboot)
> - stopping the machine and restarting it (sometimes even requires a couple
> of seconds without any power)
>
> While this makes it look like rebooting (with optional power down) will
> always work, it is usually better to solve it at early steps in this list.
> Not just for convenience (less to restart) but also because every level
> down the list removes options to interact with the system, e.g. in runlevel
> 1 you don't have X11 anymore, maybe not even networking, but still the
> basic shell tools and capability to backup data, etc.

I had actually tried every one of those at some point during the last couple
of days.  This box is shut down every night, so it had even had a complete
re-start.  However, since trying various solutions yesterday I had only tried
restarting X and rebooting.  Something must have been too screwed up for even
a reboot to manage it, until yesterday.  It would be nice to know which
solution made the difference :-) but we'll never know now.