[kde-linux] Desktop Sharing uses lots of CPU

Andrew Walbran qwandor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 19:54:05 UTC 2006

On Thursday 19 October 2006 6:33 am, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> [KDE 3.5.4 on Fedora Core 5]
>
> I am getting 85% CPU on the server when using Desktop Sharing on a Sempron
> 3100+ machine with an nVidia GeForce 6000 with nVidia's latest driver. I'm
> using VNCviewer on the client side, and had to set Hextile encoding to
> avoid a "Rect too big" failure. Is this an nVidia thing, or is there a
> better way to set up?
Does the server really need to display the desktop as well? If not, you would
be better to set up Xvnc to be run by inetd (or xinetd if you prefer). This
can be done by adding the following line to /etc/services:

vnc             5900/tcp                        #VNC server

and something like the following line to /etc/inetd.conf:

vnc             stream  tcp     nowait  nobody  /usr/bin/Xtightvnc
Xtightvnc -inetd -query localhost -once -depth 16 -geometry 1024x768

(That should be be all on one line.)
You will also need to make sure that KDM is configured to allow XDMCP queries
from localhost. This way, whenever you connect with a VNC viewer, inetd will
launch a new VNC server displaying a login screen. Multiple users can
connect, and it should be faster as the server display is not being used.

--
Andrew Walbran
website: http://q.geek.nz/