[kde-linux] Help..kde stopped working!

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Wed Oct 11 23:44:21 UTC 2006

I just did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on Debian Sarge and now I get
a message that my xserver is restarting every few seconds. The screen is
flashing through the gdm login so fast that I cannot login.

When finally get a command line prompt, startx goes to gnome instead of kde
and all the fonts are missing on the menus. When I try to select the exit
menu item (the icon is there) a few windows flash and then nothing - no
command prompt; just the gnome background.

This is the error I see in ~/.xsession-errors:

(gnome-session:4983): Pango-WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically
loaded modules were found. Pango will not work correctly.
This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
  '/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You should create this file by running pango-querymodules.

However, I don't have pango-querymodules on my system nor do I have
an /etc/pango/pango.modules.

Anybody see this before? Any suggestions on how to fix it - I would very much
like to get my kde desktop back!

Thanks!
--
Mark Phillips