[kde-linux] keyboard freeze under 3.5.5

Paul Kaplan pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 29 01:55:42 UTC 2006

I've been having my keyboard freeze up under kde 3.5.5 running on kubuntu
(either Dapper or Edgy).  It didn't happen under 3.5.4.  It seems to happen
randomly about every 3-4 weeks, but I probably just haven't discovered the
exact conditions.

The mouse remains functional and commands all are accessible but I can't do
any keyboard input.  The problem is restricted to kde since it doesn't happen
under other window managers, under kdm, or on a terminal login.

The only solution I've found is to delete ~/.kde and allow it to rebuilt
during login, so clearly there is a file or files that is/are getting
corrupted.

Has anyone experienced such a keyboard only freeze?  Is there a known fix?
TIA
Paul