[kde-linux] Follow-up - was Re: Retaining KMix custom settings

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Wed Nov 22 19:58:11 UTC 2006

 On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:11:34 +1300, Andrew Walbran wrote
 (<200611171911.38023.qwandor at gmail.com>):

> On Friday 17 November 2006 9:42 am, Felix Karpfen wrote:
>> I needed to make several changes to the supplied default settings for KMix
>> in order to get all my programs to work as they should on my Debian Sarge
>> box.
>>
>> And all of my programs work perfectly - until I shut down the computer and
>> reboot (which I do whenever a thunderstorm is close).

 SNIP

> There is a setting in the KMix settings dialog 'Restore volumes on login'.
> Does this help?

It looks as though this only fixes part of my problems.

The following results - run after a reboot and restore of the last KDE
session - tells the rest of the story:

a) run from Konsole:

1.
$ play /usr/share/sounds/pop.wav
playing /usr/share/sounds/pop.wav

No Sound.

2.
$ artsdsp play /usr/share/sounds/pop.wav
playing /usr/share/sounds/pop.wav

Sound.

3.
$ play /usr/share/sounds/pop.wav
playing /usr/share/sounds/pop.wav

Sound.

b) in addition, initially I lost my sound in the restored Opera browser;
after getting sound to work in the Konsole, it also worked in a reloaded
Opera (without the artsdsp command).

Is this a peculiarity of my box or a KDE bug?

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)