[kde-linux] Kate Toolbars

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Tue Nov 14 07:26:48 UTC 2006

On Monday 13 November 2006 11:45, James Lockie wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> >>
> >> That would seem to suggest these preferences are specific
> >> to each file edited.
> >
> > If that were the case, then when I reload that file, the icons
> > should go to that same configuration.  They don't.
> >
> >> When you look at
> >> ~/.kde/share/apps/kate/sessions/default.katesession
> >> there seems to be some indication that this is the case, as there
> >> are settings in there specific to particular files, although in my
> >> case I do not see the symptoms you report
> >
> > The frustrating thing is I have no way of getting a specific
> > combination of icons or toolbars.  It really is unpredictable and
> > unreproducable. I know there's some logic behind it, and if I could
> > find it, I'd spell it out.
> >
> > Hal
>
> Try deleting
>
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kate/sessions/default.katesession
> and
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kate/metainfos
> Back them up somewhere.

Okay, now this is WEIRD.

I deleted both of them, without bothering to backup, since I haven't
really customized settings.  I restarted and loaded 2 files, one a Perl
module and one text data.  (There isn't any file type detection that
effects toolbars, is there?)  Then I switched back and forth between
them and noticed that every time I switched from one to the other, the
icons shifted one to the left, with the leftmost scrolling off the
side.  When I thought I'd run out and only had a few left, it
stabilized with only the icons for New, Open, Last Doc, Next Doc,
Close, and Reload.  Once it reached that point, they stabilized with no
more shifting.

Once I get this, I edit the toolbars (fake editing -- move an icon, then
move it back and save it).  I get a new toolbar with the icons I need,
then the shifting to the left starts again.

This makes no sense to me, but I hope it makes sense to someone out
there.

I can delete all the Kate config info if that will help, but isn't what
I've deleted enough?

I'd really like to figure this out, since this makes Kate difficult
enough I'm looking at getting Epic for Eclipse and using Eclipse for
Perl as well as Java.  I'm not trying to threaten.  I like a
lightweight IDE (which, to me, Kate is) better for Perl and a few other
types of files, but I'm very visual and the toolbars are important for
my editing style.

Any ideas from anyone?

Thanks!

Hal