[kde-linux] How to delete KDE cache?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Nov 4 20:12:11 UTC 2006

On Saturday 04 November 2006 21:03, Larry Alkoff wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Saturday 04 November 2006 17:33, Larry Alkoff wrote:
> >> KDE keeps a nearly 1 gig series of cache files in
> >> /var/tmp/kdecache-lba/html/"letter"
> >> where "letter" is a single letter of the alphabet.
> >>
> >> How can I delete this cache, preferably from the command line?
> >
> > Well, you can do it from Konqueror's settings dialog, section cache.
> >
> >> rm -rf /var/tmp/kdecache-lba/html/*  ??
> >
> > Should work as well, but be sure KDE for this user is not running, i.e.
> > either not logged in at all or just logged in on a console terminal.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
>
> Thanks for your informative reply Kevin.
>
> I would like to rm -rf from a backup script run from a root xterm while
> I am also logged in to KDE as user.
> Would that cause problems?  I don't want to mess up KDE!

Cache files are not needed in the sense that an application wouldn't work
without them, however removing them while an application assumes it can
access them might lead to unexpected results.

I believe it will not cause problems but there is just no guarantee it
doens't.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring