[kde-linux] KNotes categories survey

Jim Philips briarpatchkid at bellsouth.net
Mon May 22 10:38:38 UTC 2006

On Sunday 21 May 2006 23:23, yasker wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have applied Google SoC 2006 for KNotes improvement on categories. My
> task is add categories for KNotes(not accepted yet, but I am trying my best
> to win it). Now I am facing a choice and need your help.
> I can't decide the users prefer which kind of "categories" in knotes. A
> traditional structure like a tree or some tags like del.icio.us? In
> details, the questions are following:
> 1. Is more than one level categories needed?
> 2. If you mind there is no "new" and "delete" function for categories?
> Because tags don't need "new" and "delete". They come with notes.
> If you can give some advices on this, I will be appreciate. :-)
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> PS: English is not my native language. If I don't express myself well,
> please forgive me. If you have time, correcting me is better. :-)

Take a look at the proposal to integrate GTD (getting things done) into
Kontact:

http://developer.kde.org/summerofcode/gtd.html?edit

It would be nice if the KNotes features dovetailed with this effort. And I'm
definitely in favor of multiple tags. There is a Web app that implements GTD
using multiple tags and it's great. See MonkeyGTD at:

http://simonbaird.com/monkeygtd/

Anyway, I think GTD offers a great system and that Kontact should aim toward
it.