[kde-linux] How to build KDE in isolation

Nick Savoiu savoiu at yahoo.com
Sat May 20 16:15:47 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm using an old RedHat 7.2 installation on which I
want to build KDE 3.5.2 using the konstruct tool.

My main problem is that KDE 3.0.x is already installed
by default on the machine. Therefore places like
/usr/local/lib already contain some libkde*.so*
libraries.

I thought that if I start the konstruct build in an
environment devoid of any references to /usr/local/lib
(i.e. a trimmed down set of PATH/LD_LIBRARY_PATH) then
none of those libraries will be used. Lo and behold
after the build finished locking the desktop did not
work. A quick run of

 ldd kdesktop_lock

showed that it was referencing libkde*.so* files in
/usr/local/lib instead of my installation of 3.5.2.

I did a grep of the makefiles in the konstruct tree
and quite a few of them reference /usr/local/lib (in
particular for Freetype and Perl purposes).

Now the question: how can I build KDE such that it
does not reference libraries outside of the
directories that I specify?

Thanks,
Nick