[kde-linux] KDE crippled for certain user

Bill Dika bdika at hotmail.com
Thu May 18 10:50:41 UTC 2006

I recently installed Gentoo 2006 and emerged kdebase and kdeadmin. When I
installed Gentoo, I kept my /home partition from my previous installation
(Kubuntu). The user from my /home partition was 'dad'. Now when I log into
KDE as dad, only the Actions items (Log Out, Lock Session,Run Command, Quick
Browser and Bookmarks) show up on the start menu and one menu item in
Applications (which does nothing when I click on it). I created another user
'dad2' and the full menu shows up (Actions items, and under Applications:
Editors, Internet, Multimedia etc). I deleted the ~.kde directories in dad
and restarted KDE but no luck.

I am relatively certain that this is related to the fact that user 'dad''s
/home was already on the system when I installed Gentoo because as mentioned
above, adding a new user seems to bring up a fully functioning KDE. I am
relatively confident that the permissions on the relevant KDE directories
are set properly (everyone can read). Is this a configuration file problem?
If it is, which configuration file and how do I go about fixig it. It seems
like KDE is getting limited information about user 'dad' when it starts up
and results in a crippled desktop for user dad.

I would truly appreciate any help anyone could give me, or any directions
that you could point me to.

Thanks.

Regards,
Bill Dika