[kde-linux] Backing up KMAIL messages

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue May 16 09:25:24 UTC 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 22:48, waz wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I have several hundred email items in my inbox and in my sent mail folders
> that I would like to archive.
> I would like to be able to access these files by  recipient, sender, date,
> subject much like the KMail does normally with files in the inbox,
> sent-mail and such. I do not find the filenames the individual files to be
> especially informative being just a string of numbers and characters.
>
> I would be happy to just copy the .mail/inbox and .mail/sent-mail
> directories provided I could eventually re-import them into KMail or other
> suitable reader and sort by name/subject/date... as mentioned above.
>
> The ability to "Un-import" the files once any backup material had been
> referenced would be ideal as I do not need my mail reader to become filled
> with old messages.

As Andrew already said, the easiest way is to create a new folder.
To be more precise, create a new folder and choose MBOX as the folder's
storage format. mbox storage means all mails of the folder are in one single
file.

This allows you to move the file somewhere else (of course while KMail is not
running) and copy back into KMail's mail directory (again while KMail is not
running) when ever you need it again.

You can also process the file with shell tools, for example grep and mbox can
usually imported into any other mail client as well if necessary.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>