[kde-linux] KDE / X / Fonts and dpi

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Mar 28 22:53:40 UTC 2006

On 06/03/28 16:46 forum at awoithon.de apparently typed:

> I use a screen resolution of 1280x1024 pixel. To have a correct display of
> sizes (fo rexample in Gimp) I have to set the dpi correct, using the
> "DisplaySize" parameter in XF86config. This will end up with 86 dpi.
> Unfortunately I can't find a font which looks good enough to work with. I
> tried several TrueTypes, but with a font size of 8 to 10 all just look bad
> and not really usable. Is there something I can do to get it fixed with 86
> dpi or do I have to leave it and continue with 75 dpi?

75 is probably worse. Try going up to a multiple of 6, to 90 instead of
86. Try installing the latest version of DejaVu fonts if you haven't
already. The sizes anti-aliasing applies to might need adjusting. If
using a CRT instead of a flat panel display try switching to a standard
aspect ratio resolution like 1280x960 or 1400x1050. If using a flat
panel sub-pixel may need to be turned on.
--
"Blessed are they whose ways are blameless, who walk according
to the law of the Lord."	        	Psalm 119:11 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409