[kde-linux] Difference between Kate, KWrite and KEdit

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Tue Mar 21 17:14:53 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 10:01, Tony Bloomfield wrote:
> > I can open many documents in Kate but cannot open two instances of Kate,
> > If I want to compare 2 documents by displaying them side by side I will
> > open both KWrite and Kate, or 2 instances of KWrite,
>
> I do this in Kate by Window/Split vertically then opening the second file
> in the right-hand pane. Do you find your method more advantageous?
Sometimes seing only the beginning of the lines is enough for me, so I can use
big windows with partial overlap and not have to deal with linewrapping.
Also I may deal with different revisions of files, they have the same name but
reside in different folders... so using different programs to display them
helps me remember which is which.

It is also not true you cannot oppen 2 Kate windows, AFAIK it is possible from
Kate but not directly from Konqueror.

Cheers	Perry