[kde-linux] Difference between Kate, KWrite and KEdit

Jes Hall jhall at kde.org
Mon Mar 20 04:42:34 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 March 2006 15:04, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> I have Kate, KWrite and KEdit. I use only Kate, but I am at a loss to
> understand why meaningless duplicates of Kate named KWrite and KEdit exist.
>
> Please tell me -- are there any serious functional differences between
> Kate, KWrite and KEdit to justify there being different applications?

Kate is a very featureful programmers tool. Kwrite is actually the Kate editor
widget in a more stripped down, simplified form. They are the same program
fundamentally, with a different user interface. KEdit still exists because as
far as I'm aware it is the only editor of the three that supports
bidirectional text, for langauges that write right-to-left. It's also part of
the kdeaddons package if I recall correctly. If you are worried about how
many similar applications you have installed I'd suggest not installing every
single acessories and add-ons package available :)

Regards,

Jes Hall