[kde-linux] Kgpg problem - Mostly resolved

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Mar 18 13:24:01 UTC 2006

On Saturday 18 March 2006 12:57, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 18 March 2006 12:39, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > I'd say the easiest solution is to launch kgpg and use its import
> > > function from the menu, then double click the imported key and set the
> > > trust setting. I also had trouble with kgpg when importing my keys
> > > using gpg command-line tools.  Once that's done a few crypto settings
> > > in kmail are all that's required.
> >
> > Hi, Grant.  Thanks for replying.  I'd tried that method, but it didn't
> > work. However, I think I may have found the solution at last.  My latest
> > googling trip came up with a suggestion to try 'gpg
> > --rebuild-keydb-caches', and I do believe that the new keys are all
> > showing now.  It went on to say that the command should be put into the
> > startup file for gnupg - it was talking about an older version, so it may
> > not be relevant to newer ones, but I think it's worth a try.  I'm going
> > to do that now.
>
> Running the rebuild has added the additional keys, but now I have a folder
> full of encrypted messages that I can't read.  Then I discovered that I
> can't sign any more either.  Kgpg shows an empty file.
> ~/.gnupg/pubring.gpg still is 1.3MB.  I wonder what's stopping kgpg seeing
> it?

Maybe I'll never know.  I played around with kgpg's settings, and suddenly the
list was available again.  I reset everything to the way I had it, and the
list is still available again.  Signing and decryption are working!

Now the only question is, should the rebuild statement be added to gpg.conf?
Can anyone tell me?