[kde-linux] how to restore trash bin icon

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 14:52:43 UTC 2006

On 3/6/06, David Baron <d_baron at 012.net.il> wrote:
> > kde is my default desktop under fc4
> > while exploring gnome i noticed 2 trash bins on the desktop
> > so i deleted one of them ...i c now in retrospect it was the kde bin
> >
> > when i went back to kde the trash bin was gone.. how to restore ?
> >
> > thx in advanc
>
> Seems to me I've seen this posting before :-).
> Here's the scoop
> create destop icon named trash to url trash:/

My solution is as follows.

The trash bin corresponds to a file (in the Desktop directory) named
"trash.desktop", whose contents are

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=Contains removed files
EmptyIcon=trashcan_empty
Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=trashcan_full
Name=Trash
Type=Link
URL=trash:/

Then, if one creates the mentioned file, one is done.

How did I discover that? Looking at the trash.desktop file of another user.

Paul