[kde-linux] removable media (cd, dvd) KDE 3.5.2 Daemon <sigh!>

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Fri Jun 30 18:33:27 UTC 2006

Can anyone tell me how to get kde to always silently (no pop-up) wait
for a user or user initiated application to try to access ANY/ALL
removable media before doing anything with it???

Preferably without losing any path to device data that kde applications
might need to find the durned thing when a user selects "open cd" or
"open dvd" menu choices???

I've been a kde user since I started using linux. I found it fairly easy
to use from the keyboard. And most of the default "keyboard shortcuts"
made sense to me so I quickly made it MY desktop.

I'm not one to always want the latest widgets, so generally I only
upgrade my KDE when I upgrade my linux distribution. Currently I'm using
kubuntu linux, and when I used apt-get to upgrade to dapper from breezy,
I wound up with KDE 3.5.2, which mostly seams to be an improvement over
whatever the kde version was in breezy.

However, one feature that seams to be dear to the heart of many gui
enthusiasts is a sore point with me.

I never liked any automounting of removable media, nor automatic running
of any application, to happen just because I shove a cd/dvd into one of
the drives. I don't want some pop-up cluttering up my screen either.

If I want to access the files on a data cd, I'd use the mount command
and browse it with mc, if I want to play music or watch a dvd, I'd
start kaffeine, kscd, xine, ogle, kmplayer, etc... and then tell the
application to open the disk. Sometimes I may want to back-up a cd
with k3b instead. But I NEVER want the gui to try to guess what I'm
going to do, nor what application I'm going to do it with. I also
strongly dislike pop-up input boxes cluttering up my desktop.

I don't remember what I wound up doing to stop the auto-mounting of cd's
with the former kde version I had under kubuntu/breezy, but it stopped
working when it was upgraded to kde 3.5.2. Instead I get these pop-up
KDE Daemon windows saying a new medium has been found. They list some
applications I might want to open the disk with, offer to do nothing,
and had a configure button that I used to tell all listed media types to
"do nothing" and had some advanced choices that I guessed at disabling.

This temporarily resulted in eliminating the pop-ups. But when I'd start
kaffeine and tell it to play an audio-cd it needed me to tell it where the
drive was. There was a pop-up with what looked like it was supposed to be
a selection list, but it didn't list either my dvd-rom on /dev/hdd, nor
my cd-rw on /dev/hdb. It did let me type the path to device, and would
remember it while the current session of kaffeine was still running.  But
shouldn't it have been able to suggest the possible paths to the dvd-rom
and or the cd-rw drives so that I could have just selected one instead of
having to KNOW the path to the device?

But it was better than living with the pop-ups or predetermining what
application to open it with (especially automatically)... Which was a
good thing because once I stopped getting the pop-ups I couldn't get back
to the configure button to try any other setting choices.

How does one get there without having a pop-up with a configure button
to click on??????????

Then some dapper upgrade process included some kde-defaults package and
the pop-ups are back...<sigh> At least they don't jump in my way while
I'm actively typing into a konsole screen. But If I ignore them, and just
open the cd (s) from kaffeine or k3b etc... I'll forget their there.
Then I wind up with multiple copies of them... [Audio CD Daemon,
Audio CD Daemon <2>, Audio CD Daemon <3>, etc...] cluttering up the
desktop.

<bigger sigh>

Can anyone suggest how to permanently tell kde to ignore the insertion
of removable media until user command or user initiated application
needs to access it?

Thanks.

   ##_if_you'd_prefer_an_clearsigned_".asc"_text_file_of_this_##
   ##message_as_an_mime_encoded_attachment,just_ask_me_while__##
   ##it's_STILL_IN_my_outbox_folder_._._._=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+;-)_##
   #gpg sig for: Joe (theWordy) Philbrook DSA key ID 0x6C2163DE#
   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/ #