[kde-linux] Using KWallet

Bram Schoenmakers bramschoenmakers at kde.nl
Sun Jun 4 16:23:22 UTC 2006

Op zaterdag 03 juni 2006 23:11, schreef Felix Karpfen:

Hi,

> Is there any <info | previous threads> that describe how to use Kwallet?

Not that I know of. Googling didn't give me more info besides the handbook.

[...]

> And the subsequent pages in the Handbook - which describe how to configure
> "kwallet-manager" failed to shed additional light.
>
> Felix Karpfen

KDE applications supporting KWallet, can save passwords and other sensitive
information to a central vault. Think of KMail and Kopete for their accounts,
and Konqueror which uses it for storing website logins.

The first time an app tries to save a password, a wizard will appear. Here you
can choose to enable the wallet, or save the passwords insecure. In the first
case, you need to enter a master password as well.

Now the wallet has been created, apps can start using it. When the wallet is
closed (which initially is the case), it will prompt for a password first
before an app can enter it.

To manage it's contents (view, add, edit, delete passwords), click the wallet
in your system tray or use the 'kwalletmanager' command. Click the wallet and
it's contents will appear.

These are the basics of the wallet, I hope things are more clear now.

Kind regards,

--
Bram Schoenmakers
KDE Netherlands (www.kde.nl)

What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.
(Punch, 1855)