[kde-linux] KDE 3.5 Sound

Dave Humphreys dave at datatone.co.uk
Thu Jul 20 12:03:52 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm having difficulty getting my sound to work, and I feel sure that there
must be something very simple that I'm missing.

I have working sound on the computer, using ALSA.

kmix works.

I can play audio files from the command line using artsplay.

kmix affects the replay of the sound files.

If I start up the artscontrol tool, then it shows my sound files playing
on the various FFT and VU displays.

However, I can't get anywhere with the KDE control centre sound system
settings. Everything looks OK, ALSA is selected as the hardware device;
sound system is enabled; but 'Test Sound' produces nothing.

It seems as though everything is OK up to the aRts level, but KDE remains
silent. Thre can't be too much wrong, just something little that I have yet to
discover?

Thanks in anticipation,
Dave