[kde-linux] Everything's big since upgrade

David J Iannucci xqryvahkzy at punchcutter.ml1.net
Wed Jul 19 23:00:57 UTC 2006

Pardon me if this is discussed in the archives.... I searched a bit but
couldn't find anything relevant.

I've recently upgraded to SUSE 10.1 and thus KDE 3.5.1.  FWIW, I use
IceWM with KDE.

Before the upgrade everything was "sized" right for my resolution:
fonts, icons, etc.  After upgrading (actually it was a reinstall), I
loaded my home directory back, and found that I had to start tweaking
things... in particular many fonts and icons had become much BIGGER.  I
have adjusted some of them by hand (esp. for IceWM), but thought that it
was probably a more fundamental problem that might be fixed by a single
tweak somewhere.  Note that X.org settings seem fine - resolution is as
expected - so I really don't wanna mess with that at all.

One that particularly stands out is the IM client gaim.  This has become
really HUGE. I note that it's a GTK+ app, and wondered whether the
problem might be something in the interaction of KDE with this library.
Still... all of the YaST2-related configuration apps also have much
larger fonts now, and I would guess these are qt?  Anyway...

Any hints or help in fixing this the Right Way(tm) would be appreciated.

Dave