[kde-linux] Why are taskbar icons sometimes a big X?

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 16 20:57:21 UTC 2006

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Larry Alkoff wrote:

>>> Thanks for your reply Chris.
>>> I have more information now.
>>>
>>> There is no ~/.icon folder but I think I'll make one and hard link any
>>> useful icons found so they won't get lost.
>>>
>>> The locate program tells me that there are Thunderbird icons (and
>>> others) scattered in quite a few directories in my Ubuntu system - it's
>>> very confusing.
>>>
>>> There are 12 icons of various sizes in /usr/share/pixmaps.
>>> They come only in 32x32 and 48x48 in either .png and .xpm plus a much
>>> larger size in .svg (no size available probably because they are scalable).
>>>
>>> How can I tell _exactly_ which icon is on the desktop?  Is there a program?
>>>
>>> There is a text file about the desktop icon in ~/Desktop but it only
>>> lists the name, not size or path.  From the name
>>> "mozilla-thunderbird-menu" I infer it must be either a 32x32 .xpm or .png.
>>>
>>> I've created another line in ~/Desktop to create another desktop icon
>>> named 'Thunderbird Mail orig.desktop' and am going to experiment on the
>>> original icon,
>>> first with a .svg but also .xpm and .png to see how they behave.
>>>
>>> Again, I really need a program that tells me the path and size of an
>>> existing icon.
>> With Thunderbird and Firefox, this isn't the problem.  This is a
>> developer level question that I don't have the exact answer for.
>>
>> However, I can tell you how to fix it.  Open the 'desktop' file for
>> Thunderbird and first make sure that it contains:
>>
>> 	Icon=thunderbird
>>
>> If so, are you getting the correct icon in the menu?  If so, you can fix
>> the problem by changing this line:
>>
>> 	Exec=thunderbird %i
>>
>> Adding the "%i" will force KDE to use the menu icon for the TaskBar and
>> in the KWin window decorations.
>>

> Thanks for the advice James but it didn't use the same icon on the
> taskbar Desktop window.
>
> I added " %i" to the end of the command line of the Thunderbird _icon_
> which had the effect of changing the Exec line in the ~/Desktop file as
> you have specified above.  However, the icon now appears as something
> that looks like two blank desktops one on top of the other at a 45
> degree angle.  Is this what you called the "menu icon"?  It's no longer
> a big X but I'd really like it to be the same as the Desktop icon.
>
> Where do you find documentation on this stuff?
>
> Larry

First I was mistaken about the " %i" effect.  There was none - I was
seeing the normal icon that appears when you mouse over the Desktop icon
on the taskbar, but below that was the big X for Thunderbird.

I found documentation on %i and other stuff in
http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html
under 'List of valid Exec parameter variables'.

Finally I noticed that Opera's icon was acting normally with permissions
644 user:user and Thunderbird's icon was 644 root:root.  So I changed
Thunderbird's icon to 644 owner:owner and restarted it but no change in
behavior - still the big X.

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX