[kde-linux] Kcontrol, Kinfocenter no module listing

Andy kdelinux at linuxide.org
Sat Jul 8 10:49:40 UTC 2006

Hi

After installing and using Kiosk, I no longer have any modules listed in
kcontrol, kinfocenter and kcontroledit. ( left panel). But all modules
are now listed as menu items in "Lost & Found" in the main menu.
I tested  a few  users and  all users on this system have lost  the
module listings.  I  verified the obvious ( c below) but might have
easily missed something as this was the first time I took a closer look
at this. Any help or pointers are highly appreciated.

- The environment variables $XDG_CONFIG_xxxx / DATA are all empty. ( I
am running FC5), So I assume the the directories below are the
default once.

-The desktop files for the modules are all correctly located in :

  /usr/share/applications/kde

- I can run a kinfocenter module with kcmshell without problems :

  kcmshell ioports.desktop

- The kiosk configuration files are located in

  /etc/kde-profile/default

- The active profile is "default" and the correct groups are assigned to
the default profile

   user, root

- Executing "kcmshell -list"  returns no modules at all.

- All the modules for kcontrol and  kinfocenter (so) are correctly
located in their default directory

- adding new modules to kcontrol with kcontroledit does not work. I can
save the new module list, but when I open kcontrol or kcontroledit again
none of the modules I added are listed.

I am stuck on this, and I am sure I missed something. The fact the the
modules are now listed in the main menu under lost & found, appears to
indicate that the menus  got  corrupted. But the kconfig (kcontrol)
module specification does not list any other configuration files or menu
entries etc.. other then the once I verified.

thx andy