[kde-linux] CD drive problem

mihail at riseup.net mihail at riseup.net
Tue Jan 31 16:53:16 UTC 2006

Hello:

I got a new laptop a few months back and decided it was a good time to
move off Micro$oft so had Fedora 3 with KDE installed on it. I am no
techno head but have managed OK with it with one massive exception: I
can't get the CD drive to work.

When I try and copy files choosing CD as the destination it gives the
following response:
Error-kio-devices-mounthelp
/dev/hdc: Invalid argument
mount: /dev/hdc: can't read superblock
Please check that the disk is entered correctly.

There is no problem reading CDs with KDE. And from a Windows partition I
luckily had put in 'just in case' it is no problem to write CDs, so the
machine is not at fault.

Can anyone suggest how I can fix this. It is really a bugger as I only
have a small USB drive and no floppy, to backup to so am not backing up
properly which is very worrying.

Perhaps the easiest thing would be to access the Linux side from Windows
and back up the files using Windows as that works? I have looked from
Windows but can't find any Linux directories.

Thanks,

me!