[kde-linux] Kppp and two ISP accounts.

Dale dalek at exceedtech.net
Fri Jan 20 07:57:55 UTC 2006

Vytautas Povilaitis wrote:

>Don't think this gonna work. I think ISP recognizes modem you're dialing from and it is set to your brother. You could try change modem settings by resetting them but I doubt that'll help.
>
>On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 07:01:53 +0200, <dalek at exceedtech.net> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm trying to connect to my brothers ISP and test a email problem out a bit
>>more.  I logged out of my user dale and logged in as test with a empty home

It should work because I have done it before.  Something has changed
with ppp or something and it is not sending the right info.  I have
logged into my account from several places, even out of state, and it
works fine, if it would send the right info.

I know of some windoze users that have two or three ISPs and they even
use the same user.  They just tell it to use another account and use the
correct login/password.  My brother can dial into my account by
selecting it instead of his.

I did this as recently as a year ago.  My brother was having trouble
with his connection being dropped and I set mine up to use his to see if
it was him or the ISP.  It connected just fine with his login/password
then.  It turned out to be his modem going out, winmodem no less.  We
got him a new modem and it has worked ever since.

Networks cards can be traced, modems can't.  They don't have a Mac
address like network cards.  ISPs can't tell one modem from another.  It
just wants to hear the beeps and squeals.

This is doable.  I have done it before.  It's just that something
changed somewhere.  I checked the kppprc file and it is showing two
seperate accounts with seperate login/passwords.

I'm thinking it has something to do with ppp.  Especailly since it does
the same with pon and wvdial.

Any more ideas??

Dale
:-)