[kde-linux] [kde] KDE Themes - Installation - Too complex.

Jeff Dooley jfd5xte at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 08:20:44 UTC 2006

On 1/11/06, roach <robert_spencer at mighty.co.za> wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 January 2006 14:22, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> <...>
> > The main point is that in KDE, much as in any other open source
> > project, the person who does the work makes the decision, and since the
> > whole procedure is open, you have the power to make changes to improve
> > things where you find problems (scratching your itch).
>
> Since when do we have "the power". The maintainer has all the power and this
> isn't the first time I've seen a maintainer deny a perfectly valid bug. Once
> that happens there is nothing we can do.

Nothing other than one of the following:
1) Actually fixing the bug yourself
2) Persuading someone else (maintainer or otherwise) to fix it for you, or
3) letting it go

You have to think about what's involved with #2. The maintainer(s), at
least if they're at all like me, don't appreciate too many complaints
about the volunteer work they do. Suggesting that they're not doing
enough work for you probably doesn't help your ultimate aim. They
don't owe you anything. Period. You may just have to buckle down and
just do #1. Or, get creative on #2. Maybe you have a personal friend
who could do it. Maybe he's willing to do some barter work. Or, just
accept #3. Sorry.

> Documenting the problem on the Net only helps those with Net access

Just a guess here, but probably most people who want to update themes
for KDE are already on the net (am I missing something?). So, it might
actually a notable benefit to users. I know I'd be appreciative, and I
don't even bother with different themes. I know you will have helped
somebody.

and does
> nothing towards closing/solving that bug.

Maybe it raises more awareness about the issue, but at the very least
you will have helped some users with an issue. Isn't that better?
Rewarding in its own right?

Jeff